SCHEDULE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST
Welcome, my dearest, loveliest Janeites! Hello again and please do make yourself comfortable, 'cause it's time for our 5th annual Jane Austen lovefest, holy moly! If you're unfamiliar with Austen in August (or its former incarnation, Jane in June), then briefly: Austen in August is 2 solid weeks of non-stop Janery. There will be reviews, interviews, guest posts, giveaways. movie nights and twitter parties, and not one but TWO read alongs, and all the other weird bits and bobs that I can pack into 2 weeks. All are welcome in Austen in August, from the most diehard of Janeites, with their "You pierce my soul" tattoos and their curricle-driving street gangs*, to the most fresh-faced, wide-eyed initiates, who find no significance (as yet) in the term "wet-shirt"... (noobs)
*If groups like this really exist, please tell me how to become one of your order...
Below you'll find the schedule of events, updated daily, to help guide you through the next two overwhelmingly-awesome/awesomely-overwhelming weeks. There will be an Austen in August button, like the one seen above, at the bottom of each and every post, which you can click to be brought back to this main page, where you can navigate to your next bit of Janedom. There will also be a brief navigational menu in the sidebar, with links to key things. Or you can just scroll and scroll to your heart's content!
Feel free to snag the button below and display it on your sidebars, tumblrs, or your own AIA blog posts.
And speaking of your own posts - a lot of the amazing Jane goodness you're going to see during Austen in August was contributed by other bloggers and authors who are amazing and astounding and awesome, and I'm sure other words beginning with 'A'. In the midst of all this sweet, sweet Janery, you may find yourself regretting that you didn't sign up to be a featured guest, but it's cool, I've gotcha covered! There is a Participation Linky set up for you to share any Austen-related posts you decide to share from your own blogs. Feel free to wade in and get your feet wet, or dive in head first and share your love of Austen! Or join one of our read-alongs (for Mr Darcy Broke My Heart and for one of my favorites, and the most criminally underrated Austen book, Northanger Abbey — prepare for some serious Team Tilney love), movie watching parties and/or twitter chats! There will be plenty of opportunities for you to dive into the fray, is what I'm saying.
Because this is the 5th year, we've had a lot of amazing things you may have missed (or may just want to see again), so each day I will be posting an "In Case You Missed It" (or ICYMI) link back to something amazing that you may have missed out on. Feel free to skip or revel in these as you see fit. =D
Now. Go forth, my dears. Browse, read, enter to win and share in the general (and generally awesome) Austenomania!!
YOUR DANCE CARD
(It's pretty full, I'll take that dance with Tilney off your hands...)
Monday, the 18th
- Welcome and Schedule - you are here.
- Austen in August Participation Linky - share your own posts here!
- ICYMI: One of our Jane in Your Interwebs segments from 2013, which, among its many awesome bits, includes one of my favorite bits of silly mash-up Janery, ever, "Jane Austen's Fight Club." [Bonus: it features an orchestral version of The Pixies "Where is My Mind."]
- "What did Austen do in August?" — guest post from Shannon Winslow
- Northanger Abbey Read Along: Discussion Questions #1
- The Real Jane Austen (2002)
Tuesday, the 19th
- ICYMI: A bunch of Janeites got together and debated which Austen bad boy would win the title of Biggest Rake.
- Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice | Guest Review from Kai @ A Fiction State of Mind
- Remember the Past by Maria Grace | Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaway
- Lessons Learned... Guest Post from Danya @ A Tapestry of Words
- Top Ten Tuesday: Frustrating Austen Characters
- ICYMI: Anna wrote a letter to Jane about using her novels in parenting her daughters — now, that's a parenting style I can get behind...
- Save the Date: Watch-along Twitter Chat Weekend!
- Jane Austen & The Canterbury Tale | Guest Post from Sophia Rose @ Delighted Reader
- Austen KISS / MARRY / KILL!
- ICYMI: We had an Ultimate Swoon-Off of the Austen men, and the DECISIONS WERE HARD, Y'ALL. #thestruggleisreal
- Jane & the Southern Belle: guest post & giveaway from Velvet
- Introducing Persuasion 200, an Austen Variations collaboration!
- Dream Casting Austen: a Janeite Conversation
- Jane Austen in Your Interwebs, 2014 | Part One
- ICYMI: We took a closer look at Austen's Bitches, and it was kinda my favorite thing ever. I think I even convinced myself of some things...
- How to Fake Being an Austen Fan | guest post from Cecilia Gray
- Jane Austen in Video Game Land | guest post from Sam @ Cherry Blossoms & Maple Syrup
- ICYMI: Mr Darcy (via the medium of Sharon Lathan) wrote a letter to our dear Jane...
- The Darcy Brothers | an Austen Variations collaboration
- Secrets of an Adaptation Addict Guest post & GIVEAWAY from Katie
- Plots and Proposals
- “She’ll be the making of him”: Nature, Nurture and Class in Emma | Guest post from Lindsay
- ICYMI: Carolina talked about how her love of all things Austenesque began...
- Excerpt & Giveaway: A Love for the Pages by Joy Penny
- Sam's Favorite Austen Quotes
- Movie & Twitter Chat Update
- Unhappily Ever After? : a Janeite Conversation
- ICYMI: A disgruntled husband had some words for our dear Jane...
- Rewriting the Romances: Danya's Perfect Austen Pairings
- Behind the Façade: Anatomy of a Regency London Season | guest post &giveaway from Kelly McDonald
- Top Funny Moments in Austen Adaptations | guest post from Maggie @ An American in France
- Northanger Abbey Read Along Discussion Questions #2
- ICYMI: Juliet Archer shared an excerpt of Persuade Me, and lemme tell ya, as a Persuasion lover, this retelling nailed it.
- The Madness of Mr Darcy Excerpt & Giveaway!
- Persuasion 200, part 2
- #WednesdayYA Chat Reminder!
- Top Ten Tuesday: Surprisingly Lovable characters
- No "In case you missed it" today, but instead, a REMINDER: the Twitter chat for MR DARCY BROKE MY HEART is TONIGHT at 8:30pm
- Feed Your Reader: HUGE Austen Variations / #AustenInAugust Book Sale!!
- Quiz: What Type of Regency Heroine Are You?
- Why We Love Pemberley Digital | guest post from Joy Penny
- Matchmaker, Matchmaker: a Janeite Conversation
- ICYMI: My foodie heart revelled in the Regency episode of The Supersizers Go...
- Persuasion 200: The Crofts discuss the lease of Kellynch
- Unpopular Opinions & Under-Appreciated Characters | guest post from Renee
- “what is Miss Morton to us?”! – Class Values in Sense and Sensibility | guest post from Lindsay
- ICYMI: I reviewed one of my all-time favorite adaptations of a Jane Austen story — one that actually gives Darcy a run for his money...
- Review-ish Thing: Mr Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo
- Austen Variations: Interview with Maria Grace, Susan Mason-Milks & Abigail Reynolds!
- Posh Dancing
- For what do we live..." | a Janeite Conversation
- ICYMI: Nancy Kelley ranted against "lame heroes," to which I gave a hearty 'Amen!'
- Living Austentatiously: a video diary from Cecilia Gray
- LBD Appreciation Post
- Jane in Your Interwebs, part 2 + Items for the Discerning Janeite
- Jane Austen MASH!
- ICYMI: YOU GUYS have done some amazing posts! Julie did a Kiss Marry Kill; Angie reviewed Austenland (read it, still need to see it!); Beth gave us her Austen confessions (Team Tilney FTW!) AND reviews of Rude Awakenings/Confessions of a JA Addict; Faith linked up her Janeite pinterest board and Danya tried to convince us (me, at least) to like Edward Ferrars (I don' wanna!).
Seriously, on top of all the guest posts featured in AIA, you guys are out there in the interwebs, spreading the Jane-love and making it happen! Links to all of those posts mentioned can be found at the ICYMI link above, and I'd suggest you check them out. =)
- I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! | Favorite Lines in Austen: A Janeite Conversation
- Mr Darcy's Pledge by Monica Fairview Excerpt & Giveaway!
- Northanger Abbey Read Along: Misty's Responses
- Giveaway: Hand-painted Darcy & Lizzie watercolors!
- THE END
***Note: For the sake of feed aggregators, different timezones and my own sanity, the posts will be staggered throughout the day. All of the posts will be linked on this schedule at midnight, however, so that it's done and ready. This means that at some points of the day, posts will be linked here but not live yet, so don't be alarmed if you click something & it says it doesn't exist! It's only a matter of time - check back often!