* So, what's happening in the world of Austen-Internets? Turns out Jane basically cured WWI depression, so... there's that.
* Book Riot recommended 3 novels to read after P&P (well, 2 novels and an online exhibition catalog...), which is how I found out about WhatJaneSaw.org, which is so neat!
* During our Austen in August Twit Chat, @maryanndimand introduced me to "In Defense of Mrs Elton," which you can read online in its entirety (for free!)
|from In Defense of Mrs Elton|
Fortunately, Diana Birchall undertook that task so I didn't have to... ;)
* Ever wondered what it'd be like if P&P characters had the run of facebook? Well...Lydia + Facebook = shudder. However, this Facebook Feed edition of P&P, put together by DeeDee Baldwin pretty much nails it. A small sample:
|11 of your friends are attending Assembly at Meryton.|
|Fitzwilliam Darcy is dreading this evening.|
|Charles Bingley and Jane Bennet are now friends.|
|Elizabeth Bennet is not handsome enough to tempt a certain gentleman. Ha!|
|Mrs. Bennet had a most delightful evening!|
|Mr. Bennet wishes that Mr. Bingley had sprained his ankle in the first dance.|
|Elizabeth Bennet promises never to dance with Mr. Darcy.|
|Fitzwilliam Darcy became a fan of Fine Eyes.|
|Caroline Bingley is all astonishment.|
|Lydia Bennet became a fan of Officers.|
|Kitty Bennet became a fan of Officers.|
(hat tip to user adrastea2 on youtube!)
* And lastly, I love a good internet mash-up, like Arrested Westeros or Mean Girls of Panem, so of course to see one that features Austen characters = instant happiness. Especially if those characters are being mashed-up with perfectly ridiculous quotes from one of my favorite tv shows, Parks and Recreation. Once again, thank you Book Riot for this bit of amazing.
|This is seriously one of my favorite Parks & Rec quotes. Oh, Leslie... So many uterus jokes.|
There are so many more, and they are seriously, seriously funny - doubly so if you're a Parks & Rec fan and hear it in the characters' voices. Only thing missing? A pic of Lydia and Kitty shopping with a "Treat Yo'self" quote.
That's all for this edition of Jane in Your Interwebs. If you come across something awesome that needs sharing, leave a link or tweet me!
|Click the pic to be taken to the Austen in August Main Page!|
Thanks to faestock & inadesign for the images used to create this button.