Hello, hello, my darling Janeites! And welcome to our 7th annual Jane Austen lovefest! If you're unfamiliar with Austen in August (which, really? Where have you been for the better part of a decade? But for the sake of argument...), briefly: AIA is 2 solid weeks of non-stop Janery -- reviews, discussions, guest posts, giveaways. readalongs, etc., etc. -- if it's Jane, it's fair game. All are welcome in Austen in August, from the most diehard of Janeites, with their " If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more" tattoos and their invitations to Almack's*, to the most fresh-faced, wide-eyed initiates, who find no significance (as yet) in the term "fine eyes"... (noobs)
*If groups like this really exist, please tell me how to become one of your order...
Below is the schedule of events to help guide you through the next two WoJ (Weeks of Jane). The Austen in August button, seen above, will be at the bottom of each and every post, which you can click to be brought back to this main page, so you can navigate to your next bit of Janedom. Feel free to snag the button below and display it on your sidebars, tumblrs, or your own AIA blog posts.
And speaking of your own posts - a lot of the amazing Jane goodness you're going to see during Austen in August was contributed by other bloggers and authors who are amazing and astounding and awesome, and I'm sure other words beginning with 'A'. In the midst of all this sweet, sweet Janery, you may find yourself regretting that you didn't sign up for a guest post, but it's cool, I've gotcha covered! There is a Participation Linky where you can share any Austen-related posts you decide to share from your own blogs -- wade in and get your feet wet, or dive in head first and share your love of Austen! Or join our read-along of Sense & Sensibility, and the accompanying discussions, movie watching parties and/or twitter chats!
Lastly, we're spilling over into September this year because everyone in my life decided to get married or do a Very Big Life Thing in the month of August, so make sure you stick around for those first few days of Austen in Not-August!
Now: let's get down to business. . . (to defeat the Huns... wait, wrong fandom.)
YOUR DANCE CARD
(It's pretty full, I hope you brought a spare pair of dancing shoes...)
Wednesday, the 24th
- Welcome and Schedule - you are here.
- Participation Linky -- share your own Jane posts here!
- Giveaway: Austenesque Book of Choice (INTL)
- Sense & Sensibility Read Along: Motivation
- ICYMI: We took a look at some of my favorite minor Austen characters in this Friday Five post from last year. Ohhh, William Lucas, I love you so, and only partly because you were played by the delicious Joseph Morgan in the most recent adaptation. . .
Thursday, the 25th
Saturday, the 3rd
- Eat Like Austen: Mincemeat Pies! Guest Post from Beth @ Printcess
- Save the Date: Sense & Sensibility Watch Along + Twitter Party
- Sense & Sensibility Read Along Discussion Questions, part 1
- ICYMI: Nancy Kelley, author of His Good Opinion and Loving Miss Darcy , ranted against lame heroes (and included a screenshot of one of my favorite instagram interactions, ever w/ bonus Clue!)
Friday, the 26th
- Mount Hope by Sarah Price | guest review from Sophia Rose!
- Sense & Sensibility Read Along Discussion Questions, part 1 (but really this time. oops!)
- Austen Movie Weekend: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies review
- ICYMI: Taking it way back, with this 2012 Book Chat in which I discussed the idea of "classics" & maybe throw in some favorite, in honor of AIA! So if you're looking to get your classics discussion fix on. . . Bonus? Giant freaking feather earrings, Misty where did you even get those?!
Saturday, the 27th
- Sense & Sensibility, pt 1 Watch-Along tonight, 8pm EST! Follow along / join in on Twitter with hashtag #AustenInAugust. More details here.
- Sense & Sensibility Was My Gateway Austen Drug | guest post from author Karen Cox!
- The Best Worst Character: a discussion
- ICYMI: For a few years running, we had a special Dear Abby-esque visit from an Austen in August advice fairy (some say it was Jane herself...), answering your questions and addressing your needs; she how she advises "Confused in Cornwall" in this Dear Janeite post.
Sunday, the 28th
- Vlog: My Austenesque Favorites!
- Miss Jane Austen and me | guest post from Jenetta James!
- ICYMI: Pride & Prejudice (& Doctor Who) is a thing. So, yeah, you should totally go watch that.
Monday, the 29th
- Giveaway: The Elizabeth Papers by Jenetta James!
- "Making Sense of Sense and Sensibility" | guest post from Maria Grace!
- ICYMI: Amanda Grange (author of roughly 1 billion Austen retellings) shared this Austen Acrostic, which is a very fun thing to say. Austen acrostic, Austen acrostic, Austen acrostic...
Tuesday, the 30th
- The Wisdom of Fanny Price | guest post from Beth!
- Giveaway: Courtship & Marriage in Jane Austen's World by Maria Grace!
- Review: Interference by Kay Honeyman!
- ICYMI: Austen has some things to answer for in this Janeite Conversation on "unforgivable" Austen. Things. To. Answer. For.
Wednesday, the 31st
- Bringing Jane to Texas: guest post from Debra E. Marvin!
- Poll: A Definitive Ranking of Austen Men
- ICYMI: It keeping with today's theme ^, here's a throwback to that time I played a game of Kiss Marry Kill with Austen's men (like, all of them), and it was one of the single most fun things I've ever done. And so hard!
Thursday, the 1st
- Giveaway: Austen in Austin & Alarmingly Charming from Debra E. Marvin!
- Reminder: S&S Watch Along & Twitter Party THIS WEEKEND!
- Jane Austen's Emma goes Spanish! | A dream cast from Ana!
- ICYMI: September woke up cold and overcast this morning, which makes me long for my missed days of summer beach reads: like this one that I talked about a few years ago. (The cover still really makes me smile.)
Friday, the 2nd
- Throwback #FridayReads: Spies & Prejudice by Talia Vance
- GIVEAWAY: Hand Lettered & Painted Jane Austen Quotes!
- ICYMI: RivkaBelle shared her LEAST favorite Austen characters, which might help you narrow down your own candidate for Best Worst Character! (Get your votes in now, I'm compiling the post soon!)
- Sense & Sensibility, pt 2 Watch-Along tonight, 8pm EST! Follow along / join in on Twitter with hashtag #AustenInAugust. More details here.
- Sense and Sensibility: Throwing Shade Edition + Giveaway from Laurie Viera Rigler!
- Giveaway: The Trouble to Check Her by Maria Grace!
- ICYMI: Speaking of Maria Grace, last year she shared her story "A Preference for Ginger," which if you missed it or just fancy a reread, starts here (and is well worth your time)
Sunday, the 4th
- "Is That So?": a short story from Danielle C.
- GIVEAWAY: $10 Amazon Gift Card, from Danielle!
- ICYMI: I spend some time pondering what Lydia Bennet would look like if she lived now, and put together a Janeite Lookbook for her.
Monday, the 5th
- On Settlement Contents: excerpt from Courtship & Marriage in Jane Austen's World by Maria Grace!
- Austen's Best WORST Characters: a Conversation
- The Trouble to Check Her by Maria Grace | Review
- ICYMI: We didn't just play Kiss Marry Kill with Austen characters — we also played that gradeschool favorite, MASH (and I even made a Jane Austen MASH printable, so you could play along at home!)
Tuesday, the 6th
- Pride & Prejudice: Behind the Scenes | Excerpt & Giveaway
- Sense & Sensibility Read Along Discussion Questions, pt 2
- THE END + giveaways extended!
- ICYMI: Lets end on something sweet, and throw it back to that time Beth taught us how to make Ratafia cakes!
Want more Austen while you wait for tomorrow's fresh posts? Check out past AIAs!